Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Monitoring Lync (My Ignorant Method)

So I'm going to preface this blog entry with saying that, I have had no Lync training what-so-ever.  Everything I know is self taught.  So needless to say, I'm ignorant on the matter.

So the firm I work for has been testing out video conferencing solutions. Everything from Webex, to GoToMeeting.  I one day suggested to my boss that we give Lync a shot. He said give it a shot. So I provisioned a 2008 R2 VM, and installed Lync. I got it running in the most basic form.  IT has been playing with it, and we love it. The partner's loved it because the base product was already included in our EA agreement.

It was decided to push Lync out to all the Attorneys to let them get a feel for the product by itself, and do some video conferencing with other attorneys in different offices. Unfortunately, I will not have full Lync training until the end of April. So one of things I needed to do was to find who was actually using the product. So I rounded up the below script. It counts the total items of the Conversation History folder, and sorts it from largest to smallest. Then it puts the results into a CSV.  You will need to run this from the Exchange Powershell.

No comments:

Post a Comment